Thursday, March 18, 2010

Grateful Birthday Madness

HOT BIRTHDAYS: Extreme B-DAY wishies to my dear old friend, Jim McGuinn, the "Head Poop" and Walla Walla's Hot Poop, the world's only Bing Bang full service music store. When I first moved to WallyWorld some 18 years ago this May, I was a fish out of water. But the dam was soon opened the first time I walked into "the Poop", and found one of the finest Deadheads I'll ever know. Here's to ya, Jimbo...Also to Becky Redgwick Pounds (AVHS Class of '80), Bishop Steve Bates (one of my many spiritual mentors, but more importantly a good, dear friend, and to my nephew Duston Turner, all brought onto this big ball of dirt on this day, a good day, indeed...

EXECUTIVE MADNESS: As noted yesterday, I had intended to dedicate an entire blog to NCAA's, which begin this afternoon. 30 years ago, this would have been the lead story around the nation, but these days there's just too much going on. Suffice it to say that regardless of the routes we took to arrive there, including yesterday's disheartening announcement by CAL coach Mike Montgomery that starting power forward Omondi Amoke has been suspended for the entire Tournament for disciplinary reasons, Presidnet Barack Obama and I ended up with the same Final Four picks: Kansas, Kansas St., Kentucky, and Villanova, both of us picking Kansas to take Kentucky in the Final. And while we do agree on many things, including the madness of March, no, we don't agree on everything...

AIKO AIKO: Color me rainbow and call me Wavy Gravy...this week saw long time Grateful Dead / Dead bassist Phil Lesh turn the big 7-0. Beyond stunned as I picked up the news from Jess Barsotti's FB page, kudos to her big bro Dharma for the excellent floats he and his staff created for the inside of the BG Memorial Aud for the sold out shindig. Phil will always hold a special place in my heart. The last night of Winterland, I accidentally parked the Blue Bomb behind his car in the hall's underground garage and for a good portion of the evening, was continually reminded that a bounty had been placed on my head. Here's hoping there is a statute of limitations on such things. Belated Happy Birthday, Philly!...

IT'S ALWAYS GREENER: An old friend from Stockton (by way of Austin, TX), Cameron McDonald tossed me a quick FB chat this morning, noting that today starts the SXSW Music Conference, which he will be attending. The envy is all mine, kind Sir. Have a great time, take excellent pix and if you can get a directional mic in the joint, yes, I'd love a copy...Also from the FB front: I read from Jan Simmons' page today that during her gym workouts the last couple of months, she has found the Stones "Exile" lp a great musical motivator to get her through the elyptical. I responded that while that is an excellent choice, I really love my boot from the Stones Saturday show in '81 at Candlestick. For many years, Jan was Bill's right hand, perhaps never moreso than during that 81-82 US and European Tour, which we coordinated for the Glimmer Twins, et. al. So YEAH!...like she's going to need MY copy of that show. My apologies to Janny for my putz-like post and sure hon, if you'd like to upgrade my version of that show with a copy of your own, I'd be more than obliged...

THERE MUST BE A PILL you can take for this. Many March Widows have declared that sentiment ever since the NCAA started March madness, but I've never seen a case so desperately in need of medication. AVHS AND UCSB alum Mark Schellman seems to be posting a nutty after hearing the words of sports talkinghead Jim Rome, who yesterday predicted the Gouchos of Santa Barbara to upset the Numero Dos seed Buckeyes from THE Ohio State University in this weeks tournament opener. Hey Mark, I'll bet you those killer speakers you had in your apt. on Abrego against EVERY bootleg CD (more than 150) I own, that your boys don't get within 10 pts. Not meaning to spoil your fun buddy, but it's always a good idea to have a reality check before tip off...

AN EARLY GIFT: Less than an hour after yesterday's Lounge comments, encouraging Master Golfer of the Universe, Tiger Woods to get back in the game and play in the upcoming Masters Tournament, had hit the blogosphere, el Tigre released an announcement that indeed, he would be returning to the front lines of the PGA by teeing 'em up at Augusta. Now I don't really believe that Woods decided to play simply because the tourney starts on my birthday this year, but unless Lisa can find someone to watch the kids and is able to book the "Rio" room at the Destinations Inn (http://www.destinationsinn.com/), this is about the best way to celebrate the Big 5-0 I could have come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment