Monday, November 1, 2010

The First of Novembeard...

This weekend at a social gathering of the "old guard" (read: pre-Live Nation) employees of Bill Graham Presents, the former head of Ambience Control, Lance Miller, asked if I had given up the Three Dot Lounge. With all the life changes in the last six months, I hadn't really thought about it much (except following a similar inquiry from my friend Coz a few weeks ago), but during my evening drive back from Coventry Grove, I did and have decided. The Lounge is now back open for business...

TRICK OR TREAT: Watching the Giants' telecast last night, I saw my favorite Meg Whitman commercial of the Fall Comedy Season; the one where she smiles and touts that "thirty years ago, my husband and I came to California, because it was the land of opportunity and literally anything was possible. THIS was why we came to California!", she offers with a glowing smile. I am guessing the formerly employed nudnik who wrote that ad forgot to check to see who was the Gov back when California was such a fantabulous place, full of promise and prosperity. None other than Jerry Brown!...A dear 'not-so-old' friend, Debbie Clair Liebert (of the Brentwood Lieberts), reports they had 1,473 trick or treaters come a knockin' at their door last night. So kibosh what they say about the failing education in our public schools. These kids were obviously taught the big lesson from the Watergate era: "follow the money"...

AND THE AWARD GOES TO: Speaking of tricks and treats, my favorite line of the night comes from a darling little thing who couldn't have been more than three. Knocks on the door, parents handily in tow, adorned in nothing ghoulish or otherwise special, carrying a medium sized beaded purse. Upon hearing her confident demand for "tricks or treats, please" (the politeness of which instantly made me fall in love with the little tyke and hand her three Reeses instead of a lone Kit-Kat), I inquired, "Where's your costume?". "I was a ghost, but I tripped and fell twice", she replied as she answered, somewhat annoyed. "It's wasn't working for me"...

A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION...Each year I try to pay attention and make note of the date on which I see the first Christmas ad on television. Requirements: it must show Santa, an xmas tree, use the word Christmas or have a familiar jingly holiday song in the background. In recent years, they have been popping up as early as the last week of September, but I saw this year's first last night, in between the 4th and 5th innings. Ho, Ho, No. Still too early...Hypocrisy 101: This year's big holiday item from The Music Store is a steal and they'll probably go quickly. It's an external hard drive filled with 1,000 of the all-time greatest rock and pop albums (including entire catalogues from most of your faves) and more than 250 direct-from-the-soundboard concert recordings of the top acts from the late 60's through the 70's and 80's, many recorded right here in NorCal. Also includes hundreds of blues, jazz and country recordings, but if you or someone you know is a lover of what is now referred to as "classic rock", this really is a must have. All (including the hard drive from which you can burn your own CD's or load up your iPod or MP3 players) for only $500. For more information, e-mail daj0410@gmail.com ...

FROM THE "IS IT JUST ME?" DEPT: I just received an FB missive from Stockton entrepreneur, positive thinker and all-around good gal, Suzy "Sunshine" Bowers, complaining about the "invasion of privacy" she feels from the incessant robocalls from the politicos. I read through the Constitution and found no provision for others being rude or bothersome, which these intrusions certainly are. Invasion of privacy is when a President directs his minions to listen in on your phone conversations without a warrant. Robocalls are simply a huge inconvenience. Both, however, are reasonable motivations to vote for the other guy, which in the case of the former, a lot of us did two years ago this week!...

HUMMMM BABY...I love my Giants. In fact, I am so supremely confident in their eventual success, I am rather hoping for the killer pitching duel were were promised in Game 1 from both team's respective aces, Messers. Lee and Lincecum, to go into extras but...with Texas coming out on top. Blasphemous? Traiterous? UnAmerican? Perhaps. But I just love watching these guys play ball and am not yet ready for the Season to end. Besides, while he hasn't gotten as much press as The Freak, I think Matty Cain has been the pitching stalwart all season long and I'd dearly love to watch him crush the Rangers to seal the deal AND I'd love to see him do it at home. So, hoping for a great game-tight loss tonight and then Wednesday night's Texas Cain-saw Massacre...

AND FINALLY...This was fun. It's nice to be back here at the Lounge and we're looking forward to continuing to serve up some tasty tidbits for your reading pleasure and contemplation. If you have any thoughts, ideas, suggestions or comments, please offer them up in the box below, and don't forget to tip your waitresses. Great gals all, but I don't pay them much. As always, please forgive the typos and...

What's on YOUR mind?

1 comment:

  1. Go Giants... win here or there win any where, I do like it here or there, I will like it anywhere...
    Nice to see this up & running again.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete